Friday, December 26, 2008

And A Castle Arose Before Us






This is still
how I think of 1012 N. Dearborn ----

as a fantasy castle
where dreams come true.

Fortunately for all of us,
it's been a reality
ever since 1921

when this painting in the scrap book
celebrated the amazing event.

And it is amazing.

It's one-of-a-kind
in Chicago
if not the world


The artist
is Glen C. Sheffer (1881-1948)
who was Vice-President at the time
(he would be promoted the following year)





and here's what he
is currently
famous for:






I guess he specialized
in amazing events.



But he also did
th Impressionist painting
that's been the specialty of the Palette and Chisel ever since.


Here he is in a newspaper account
of the Palette and Chisel show from 1919





Here's a landscape from 1925
that reminds me
of the Turtle show we just had



and he did studio nudes
(presumably from
our third floor studio)












and here's my favorite.

I wonder what happened to this painting.







1 Comments:

Blogger todormj said...

awhile ago I sent some info about an oil painting I have by Lili Auer dated 1924 - its a dreamy painting of haystacks. You suggested I send a picture. How do I upload one, or is their an email I can use?

Best, Michael Todor
todormj@verizon.net

January 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home