Saturday, March 07, 2020

Gold Medal Show - 2020







Stacey Street - Gold Medal award

I admit that this one slipped right past me-
much as I enjoy her cheerful, upbeat visions




Pat Brutchin

This was my pick for the gold medal-
though that might just reflect
my loyalty to the sculpture group.

In person - it had the fierce presence, for me,
of the Hellenistic statuary of athletes.




Robert Cornell

I gave this one second place
because has some character to it.
(looking online,
he also did a Chicago variation
of Van Gogh's Starry Night.
I like that one, too )










Errol Jacobson
Is this Dante's Inferno ?  or Chicago at night ?
It's quite a vision.
I  gave this the third prize -
and think it got Honorable Mention





Andrew Conklin

This still life is more like a demonstration
of the kinds of surfaces that Andrew can mimic.

As an entire painting -  I'm disappointed,
but as a detail,
the parts are amazing.





Kuhn Hong, "Anatomy Lab"
Perhaps not a great painting,
but I love the subject matter:
the Wednesday night corpse drawing workshop.
The poses feel lifeless,
but at least the models don't move.





Stuart Fullerton

She appears to be thirty years old
going on eighty.





Helen Oh

A charming miniature





Tim Leeming

I'm always glad to see Tim's enthusiasm
for the least  attractive parts of urban life.

But isn't it time for him to move on to something
besides dumpsters ?





Jose Zendejas

Another portrait of the club's favorite Bolshevik


Zawicki

Here's the coach  house sculpture studio,
with Roger Akers contemplating his work.





Autone Kelly

This piece also won a medal.

It's precise - but also a bit dry.




Pascal Crucq. "Sundown on the Lake"

It's good to see Pascal back
with the kind of paintings only he can do.





Ian Paul Morrison

A charming little piece
that seems to have time traveled
from the early 19th Century.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home